This is a Clilstore unit. You can .
Please watch the video and try to fill in the gaps of the TASK 1.
When you power a number you are doing a multiplication of the same number several times.
34 = 3 · 3 · 3 · 3
The terms of a power are called: the base a (the number that is multiplied by itself), and the exponent, b (the number of times that the base is multiplied my itself). ab
And the properties of the power are:
1. Product of powers with the same base: It is another power whose base is the same and whose exponent is the addition of exponents.
am . an = am+n
54 · 53 = 54+3 = 57
2. Division of powers with the same base: It is another power with the same base and whose exponent is the difference between the exponents.
am : a n = am − n
56 : 53 = 56-3 = 53
3. Power of a power: It is another power with the same base and the exponent is the product of the exponents.
(am)n = am · n
(55)4 = 520
4. Multiplication of powers with the same exponent: It is another power with the same exponent, whose base is the product of the bases.
an · b n = (a · b) n
34 · 64 = 184
5. Division of powers with the same exponent: It is another power with the same exponent and whose base is the quotient of the bases.
an : bn = (a : b)n
82 : 22 = 42
6. a0 = 1
7. a1 = a
Now, you know more things abour the powers. Please do TASK 2 and TASK 3.
Short url: http://multidict.net/cs/4159